Thursday, October 7, 2010

98 Degrees: Album Review (2000)

   
 I can still remember how I sing along with their songs on MTV during the weekends. Those were the time that boy bands are hot and punk bands are not so close to that. I remember when I got hooked to their song “I Do”. I still consider this song as my wedding song if ever I get married in the future. Aside from the obvious fact that the group is composed of four hot guys, they all can sing and all are given enough spotlights compared to other boy bands who live to outshine each other members. Even though 98 degrees didn’t get the fame that BSB experienced, they still are known for giving people good music and songs that sweep you off your feet. I would love to see another 98 degrees reunion in the future.
   
 People who followed the career of this group would agree with me when I say that they are way better than NSYNC. They produced songs that are easy on the ears. Their music is timeless. If you want to fall in love or just get inspired with love, you definitely have to listen to these guys.







 Revelation

Revelation by 98 Degrees, is a fairly good CD from this vocal group. The songs are a mix of sugary ballads and fast tempo dance songs. The lyrics have an emphasis on love and romance. The latin infused pop smash hit "Una Noche" is sensual, fun. "Stay The Night" is a beautiful crooning pop love song classic. There's much more where that came from. Nick Lachey does a fantastic job on lead vocals. His distinctive sounding smooth as silk tenor voice gets strong when it needs to without losing its cooing softness, and his diction is great, allowing you to understand every lyric he sings. Up tempos like "The Way You Want Me To" can have you shake your booty to its catchy beats, perhaps reminiscent of the now popular "dirty pop" brand of up tempos. Other up tempos like "He'll Never Be What I Used To Be To You" and "You Should Be Mine" could get you to the dance floor in an instant with their catchy beats and pronounced lyrics.  "Yesterday's Letter" which in my opinion is the best song on the album, takes you to a moody scenario of a break up. Perhaps as melancholy as the group's previous hit "The Hardest Thing", "Yesterday's Letter" tugs at one's emotions with its soft piano keys and painfully sung lyrics.  "My Everything"  is time reminiscent of the group's hit, "I Do Cherish You", is a ballad that can double as a love song, as well as an inspirational/spiritual song. The album ends with "Never Giving Up" is an Earth Wind and Fire-sounding up tempo. It starts with soft piano keys and gradually infuses with dance beats.


The album as a whole is a delightful mix of dirty pop and beautiful ballads. The group has strayed a little bit away from their Motown roots but has manages to introduce a new audience to its music with their pop tunes. This album give us R&B at its best. An amazing album. This album is a revelation.




No comments:

Post a Comment