Monday, December 27, 2010

Queen: an Album Review

As a kid, I grew up listening to Queen’s music. It was my parents who influenced me to appreciate their songs and eventually love some of their tracks. I can still remember the time when I listen to their songs on the radio, specially the song “Bohemian Rhapsody”, it gives me chills. Listening to Freddy Mercury’s singing gave me Goosebumps. It’s amazing listening to a man who sounded much more like a woman. What amazes me more is that he sounded so incredible! Queen has become an inspiration to young rock bands and even aspirants in the rock industry. They are considered the pioneer in the 70’s. I became to love this band even more when I found out that they made the song Under Pressure. It was one of my favorite songs of all time which was revived by The Used and My Chemical Romance. Just with Under Pressure alone, the band for sure sold millions!


Another thing that I love about these guys is their sense of style. They are very unique. They are not afraid to take risk. What surprises me is that their uniqueness work in every way that we could ever imagine.  The use of a variety of music, with a variety of genres, makes them truly brilliant. They have not only brought something new to music, they have changed music and made it supremely good. 


Without a doubt, Queen couldn’t make it that far without their front man, Freddie Mercury. Freddie's amazing vocals, gifted stage presence, and  elite projection contributed a lot to the success of Queen. Freddie managed to not only communicate with his music, but he made you believe what he sang. He was a passionate songwriter and he wrote songs that balanced several genres by a string. Although Freddie is now deceased, his legend remains.
   


Album Review (A Night at the Opera)



The album started with the first track which is “Death by Two Legs”. This was the perfect first track of an album. The lyrics of the song seems like it is intended on the person you hate. What I love about this track is that it has an outstanding musicality from the classical sound of a piano to pure guitar fury. This song pretty much shows what heavy rock is all about. “Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon” on the other hand is a super fun song. It’s piano based with a guitar solo. It’s a song that you can sing along with. “You’re my Bestfriend” is a song that touched my heart. You may say that the lyrics may sound cheesy but it totally works! Freddie gave the song power and beauty which made it sound outstanding. One of my favorite tracks in this album is “Love of my Life”. Every words in the lyrics stings our heart perfectly. It’s truly one of  Queen’s masterpiece. I know, everybody will agree if  I put “Bohemian Rhapsody” on the top of the list. The first verse is absolutely stunningly beautiful. Freddie's voice, the lyrics, and the piano all come together to form one of the most amazing products of Queen. Aside from it’s musicality, I would like to give props to the music video which is super cool. No wonder people at this day and age still know this song.


Although Queen possesses good tracks in this album, we can still find some low points on some tracks.  “I’m In Love with my Car” is an average track from the album. I don’t see anything special  with the lyrics and the music. “Sweet Lady” is a track that is far from good. It possesses a heavy metal vibe which didn’t sound good like the other songs. It is a track that you can just skip listening to. On the lighter note, “God Save the Queen” is a guitar oriented song. It was a good closing to the album.


Overall, I think A Night at the Opera, promotes good tracks that are worth listening to. Most of the songs stand up well on their own. This album defines Queen as an artist that every musicians should look up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment