Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bon Jovi: An Album Review


As a child,. I grew up listening to the hits of Michael Learns to Rock and Bon Jovi. They can be considered as one of the pillars of the music industry. They showed the true meaning of rock. They produced not just noise, but a quality of music. This just shows an example of a good rock band. When I was in elementary, I am fond of singing along to their hits such as “Livin on a Prayer” and “It’s my life”. Elementary days are the times when I know little of the rock genre. Pop has been a popular genre during the 90’s and there’s a very small potential that you’ll get hooked to rock bands. As I listen to Bon Jovi, they made me appreciate their music as well as the songs of other rock bands like U2 and Guns N Roses. They surely captured my attention with their catchy music!
    

Album Review (Slippery When Wet)



Slippery When Wet is the third studio album that Bon Jovi released during the 80’s. Since this album contains songs that doesn’t get old with time, might as well do a review about it. The album started of with the song “Let it Rock”. In my opinion, this is not the opening for their album. The keyboard playing was all good but I don’t see anything special with the lyrics. It was an average track but I must say that the vocals are pretty good. On the other hand, “You Give Love A Bad Name” was far from the opening track. The whole song is original and fresh. The lyrics are well done and the whole arrangement of the music in sync with keyboards and drums are extremely catchy. Everyone in the group had their own time of showing their respective roles in the group. I consider this song epic.  “Livin on a Prayer” for me is the best track in this album. The guitar and the keyboard stand out in this track. I also love the story behind the lyrics which is about Tommy and Gina. This song is a perfect example of a good rock love song.


Although this album possesses a lot of good songs, I can also find some songs that didn’t match my taste. “Without Love” is one those mushy love songs that you listen to when you break up with a partner. The guitar is pretty clean and simple. I didn’t like it that much compared to those rock songs in this album. “Never Say Goodbye” is pretty much like Without Love. Both possesses lyrics that are closed to being emo. It’s a track that you can skip listening to.


I must say, this album became the breakthrough album of Bon Jovi. The album presented a balance of pop, hard rock and heavy metal that appealed to listeners. Aside from that, they made it a point that every band members have their own time to shine. The nice sense of style of Bon Jovi helped a lot in the success of the album. The album also shows the quality of the band’s song writing and performances which helped them build a long term music career. I must say, this album is worth listening to. This album made me love rock even more.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment