Sunday, June 20, 2010

student by day, stage manager by night



Being me is not as easy as it seems. Think about it: I wake up early in the morning, grab a bite, go to school, finish class at 8/9PM and then attend the theater rehearsal til 12MN. It's the same old routine from Mondays-Saturdays. Talk about not having my social life! You see, i'm stuck in being a student and a stage manager. And you probably are wondering what a stage manager is. Let me give you some info for you to understand my work better.

Stage management is the practice of organizing and coordinating a theatrical production. It encompasses a variety of activities, including organizing the production and coordinating communications between various personnel (directors, performers, prod staff, etc.).
The venue for the practice, the schedule of the rehearsals/show dates are pretty much the things that are visible in my "to-do" list. Not to mention the troubleshooting to be done when personal problems come into way. It's so obvious that being a stage manager is hard but what if you also have school work to keep in mind.

That's like the biggest dilemma. There are time when it's hard to keep the balance between school and work. When the show is fast approaching, you got to give extra time and effort to the practice and some important stuff. You have to be sure that even the tiniest problems are solved before the directors find out. Aside from that, you gotta keep up with your grades or else, you're DEAD!

With all of the things that i've said, i'm sure all of you are wondering why i'm still here. You know why? When I became an SM, I learned the true meaning of DISCIPLINE. I also learned to be better in solving problems and in managing my time. My experience as a stage manager became my foundation in my On-the-job training. It can also be a training ground for people who wants to be successful in any field that they want to pursue in the future. I know for a fact that with the things that i've learned inside the theater, i am ready to do any tasks ahead of me. I know that with these things, i learned to become not just a responsible student but a responsible individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment